Sunday, June 8, 2008

Daddy's Girl

I met my Dad and Brenda (my wonderful stepmother, not anything like Cinderella’s) for lunch today. They were on their way back to their house in northern Kentucky from their farm in eastern Kentucky. My dad called ahead and asked if we could have lunch with them.

My relationship with my Dad has just been restored in the last year. And as I have said in earlier posts this has been one of the greatest blessings my Father God has given me.

Today brought me a gift I will cherish forever.

We walked into Arby’s, and I was trying to get my dad to go first. I was going to buy my own lunch and was trying to subtly stay behind so that I could do so. I put my hand on my dad’s shoulder and tried to move him forward. He did the same to me. I protested.

For the first time that I can ever remember I got the “look” from my dad. Yes, the Dad Look. I have seen my own daughters receive this look many times. But I have never been on the receiving end. I was thrilled. I was gently, but firmly reprimanded by my dad. And the joy in my heart started as a small bubble and almost burst.

In Arby’s, standing at the front counter, I realized I am a Daddy’s Girl. I am a forty plus year old woman and I have just made this discovery. He is my Dad. Not a soul in the world can take this away from me. Not even my own poor choices or ill mistakes. Not even my stubbornness can take this right and privilege away.

I am so excited about this Father’s Day. The day is about fathers, but this year I will be rejoicing because of my new status: Daddy’s Girl.

2 comments:

elmogus said...

This piece brought such joy to my heart. I feel it. And I'll bet your dad feels it too. That joy of having a Daddy's Girl.

J

Mac Goddard said...

God really IS good, isn't He!!

The Thrill of Hope--Jeremiah, Part 1

One April evening in 2017 we reached for your Mama and Daddy’s hands and led them into the stillness of an empty sanctuary. At an altar we...