Thursday, August 2, 2007

Watching Jesus

I have been reading the book of Mark and the other gospels over and over for almost two years now. I read the rest of the Scriptures, but I return to the gospels daily so that I might watch Jesus.

All my Christian life I have been taught to read the Scriptures and watch what the other person is doing in an encounter with Jesus. I was encouraged to watch the person and either behave like them or don't behave like them. I should observe and note what they did in a situation with Jesus and either emulate them or dismiss them. Seems simple, right?

Two years ago I went away for a conference with one of my dearest friends in the world. During our time there something dawned on me. If I am supposed to look like Jesus...act like Jesus...be like Jesus why in the world am I watching every one else?Why am I going to Scripture and noticing and studying others before I look at Jesus? When I started reading the gospels repeatedly I discovered something.

Watching Jesus changes your perspective. Watching others causes you to attempt to change your behavior and your actions. When you watch Jesus your attitude and the condition of your heart is revealed. Jesus calls you to change inwardly first and the outward behavior will be fruit of that change. You cannot truly watch him and remain unmoved.

Read the book of Mark this week and keep your eyes on Jesus. Fix your eyes on the author and finisher of your faith. Watch and observe. Listen to what he says and see what he does.

I think you will be surprised.

No comments:

The Thrill of Hope--Jeremiah, Part 1

One April evening in 2017 we reached for your Mama and Daddy’s hands and led them into the stillness of an empty sanctuary. At an altar we...